Please note all the pictures on this site was taken by me and belongs to me. Please do not copy and use without my permission.

For questions, please email me directly at neversink7@hotmail.com.

Happy Bird Place

Happy Bird Place
Click on the picture to go to my website.

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Mini Update

I'm a bit behind on taking pictures.  Unfortunately molting season is always hard.  Juveniles and adults alike are more likely to get ill during this stressful time, so I'm trying to spend extra time observing to catch anyone who feels not well as early as possible to give treatment a better chance of succeeding.  Societies are still breeding.  Still trying to get purple grenadiers and forbes to breed successfully.  All gouldians are resting now, but letting shaft tails have a go.  Scarlet chests are breeding but having very high infant mortality and DIS.  Not exactly sure what is going on as babies are dying with full crops.  DIS may have something to do with the recent thunderstorms causing night fright.  Rosie bourke's first clutch were all infertile - hoping for another clutch.  Yellow red bellied turquoisines may finally have a baby - out of their first clutch, 2 infertile, 1 DIS, and hopefully 1 live baby since it was in the process of hatch at last check.  Plans for the summer will be to cut down on egg food so everyone will be lean and fit for the fall breeding season; although may still rotate some societies to breed.

2 comments:

  1. I've just found my single rosa bourke chick dead with full crop and all the other eggs DIS. I think it's all due to poor incubation. In my case too many eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so sorry about your rosa chick. I'm still not sure why mine died with full crops since there were several babies huddled together and the hen was in the nestbox with them. The babies died one at a time w/o obvious injury, with full crops, and no nasty poop. hoping for better clutches later.

    ReplyDelete