Please note all the pictures on this site was taken by me and belongs to me. Please do not copy and use without my permission.

For questions, please email me directly at neversink7@hotmail.com.

Happy Bird Place

Happy Bird Place
Click on the picture to go to my website.

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Fledging day...

Apparently today is a good day for fledging.  Young gouldians fostered under societies and Ken's new siblings decided to fledge.  New society babies also came out of their nest - three more pied fawns.  All of Scarlet and Red's 4 babies have fledged; unfortunately Red seems more keen in plucking his babies than feeding them, so I've pulled them for hand feeding.  This time, Coral and Blush are being perfect parents.  Of Red and Scarlet's babies, 1 male, 2 hens, and 1 I'm thinking will be a hen as well but not sure due to the white line under the wing not being very prominent.  Of Coral and Blush's babies, 1 male, 1 hen, and 2 more too young for me to tell just yet.  

Sadly, Ken's sister from last year, my black headed white breasted silver hen had died.  Looks like my problem with blue and silver gouldians continues.  

All of the the shaft tails are restarting.  There were a lot of clear eggs, so we're "rebooting".

On the up side, my creamino hen with her 2 young split to creamino consorts have laid more eggs, so far 2 looks to be fertile.  Hopefully some will be creamino babies.  

I am planning on trading my linnies for some more bourkes.  Cream Puff is starting to lay thin shelled eggs.  She just keeps laying eggs without properly sitting on them, so I have removed their nest box and forcing a rest period.  Time for an extended rest period.  I have decided, at this point, linnies are not the right species for me.  If they do successfully hatch out babies, having to hand feed in order to have tame pets may be too time consuming for me.  They are very cute and sweet, but I think I need to stick with finches and grasskeets for now.  Fortunately I was able to find a breeder very interested in working with them to take them in.  I will miss them, but I think it's the best decision for both the linnies and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment