Please note all the pictures on this site was taken by me and belongs to me. Please do not copy and use without my permission.

For questions, please email me directly at neversink7@hotmail.com.

Happy Bird Place

Happy Bird Place
Click on the picture to go to my website.

Friday, May 7, 2010

more pictures...

The mother of the clutch of three taking a look before leaving the nest box.
A male forbes parrot finch.  He recently lost his mate.  I'd like to get him a companion, but he seems ok since he's living among the gouldians.
One of the blue cap cordon blue males.
Here are the 2 baby gouldians that were fostered to society finches.  They've fledged now but are still not fully weaned.
A black headed white breasted (either not a clean white breast or very light lavender since his breast color appears pink) double factor yellow backed male gouldian finch.  He's a great dad.
She is the mate of the above male gouldian.  She is black headed purple split to white breasted normal green split to blue back.  I know she's split to white breast and split to blue because they had babies with white breast and silver coloration (aka yellow blue back).  She's a great mother now but hasn't lost her love of hanging upside down from the top of the cage.
This is the latest baby of the above pair.  It is an only child at this point unfortunately.  There were 3 babies hatched originally, but a few days afterwards, one of the babies died of unclear reasons.  I did not find the dead baby until probably a day after it had died, so either what ever killed it was also spread to the other 2 babies or its decaying body caused the other 2 babies to get sick.  My attempt to treat the 2 babies with antibiotics saved this baby, but sadly was not able to save the other baby.  This sole survivor's parents were great.  I had to take him out to give him antibiotics 2 times a day for several days and they allowed me to do so and never abandoned him.  I'm saying him since I think he may be a dilute.  He's doing well now and growing fast.
 Here's one of the youngsters from earlier in the season.  He's molting into his adult feathers nicely.  As you can see, also singing constantly.  He'll be a black split to orange headed, purple breasted, normal green back gouldian.
 A shot of my newly made larger flight cage.  (Thanks to hubby and dad.)  From left to right, there is a pair of yellow faced star finches (so far no fertile eggs from this pair), 2 gouldian sisters from earlier in the season who are black headed split to orange head purple breasted normal green backs, and a black headed white breasted silver back female gouldian who is from the first clutch of the pair of breeding gouldians mentioned above.
 A trio of young male gouldians who are practicing their singing skills.  Notice the one at mid-level who is listening intently to his brother below him.
 More juvenile gouldians molting into adult colors.  The black headed white breasted yellow backed gouldian in the front is one of the sisters of the silver baby mentioned above.
Here is a wild baby bird I rescued from the sidewalk.  My dog found it on the side walk near a neighbor's lawn.  Unfortunately, no nest sites were in sight and it was not fully feathered nor can it fly or even walk well.  I am handfeeding it currently and it's feathering out nicely.  It still have a few down feathers - looking like evil eyebrows.  LOL.

I think it is a bit too big to be a sparrow, so it may be a house finch.
 It has clearly learned quickly where food comes from.

No comments:

Post a Comment