Please note all the pictures on this site was taken by me and belongs to me. Please do not copy and use without my permission.

For questions, please email me directly at neversink7@hotmail.com.

Happy Bird Place

Happy Bird Place
Click on the picture to go to my website.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Molting up a storm

The splendids are growing well.  There was a brief glitch in the clutch of 3 (the 4th egg was indeed dead in the shell - not sure of cause as the embryo had no visible defects).  They appear to be growing slower with half full crops all the time and had what appear to be food regurgitated on top of their head.  Wasn't sure if if they were vomiting or was unable to take food adequately.  To be on the safe side, I empirically treated them with several days of antibiotics and supplemented their diet with handfeeding as well.  They appear to be better - more energy and full crops.  On the other hand, the clutch of 5 are developing super fast.  Their parents are doing a super job.  I have not had to handfeed any of their babies at all.  The babies are becoming a bit more wary of me or namely my hand as I handle them, but I will try to keep up with handling them daily to help retain calmness when near humans.

The grasskeets are in general not great hands-on pets unless hand fed.  Bourkes tend to be easier to tame than the others. 

My yellow females turquoisine has made a full recovery from her bacterial infection.  The trip to the avian vet was well worth it.  I hope she gets over my force feeding her antibiotics twice a day.  The vet thought the antibiotics being grape flavored may help...it didn't.  She's eating well and flying well.  Her boyfriend appears to be happy to see her, but she keeps screaming at him.  Seems to be less mean to him yesterday.  I'll give her a few more weeks before introducing a nest box since it is around their breeding season.  If she's really not taken to him, I may switch him out with a spare bachelor I have who is a normal split to yellow.  I know the normal is in the mood for love since he's been trying to feed all the gouldians I keep in the same flight cage as him.  LOL.

All the goudians and other finches as well are full speed in a fast molt now as the weather is warmed up to the high 80s to 90s.  The amount of cleaning up has definitely increased with the snow storm of feathers daily.  Hard on the back but great for the eyes to see all the juveniles molting into their beautiful adult colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment