Please note all the pictures on this site was taken by me and belongs to me. Please do not copy and use without my permission.

For questions, please email me directly at neversink7@hotmail.com.

Happy Bird Place

Happy Bird Place
Click on the picture to go to my website.

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Fledging!

New grasskeet babies are fledging.  Younger babies are still in the nest, but 4 babies between the 2 clutches are out.  Not flying terribly well yet, but they are certainly trying.  I am trying to make sure all babies are still being fed well.  
These guys will take another 4-6 weeks before fully weaning.  They won't acquire they adult colors until closer to 4-6 months of age, but sometimes can start getting new feathers as young as around 3 months of age.  Gender can be evaluated by looking at the underside of the wings, however.  Males have all black feathers.  Females have a white bar on the under-wing.  If the white bar is somewhat broken, then it's not 100% it's a female and will need to wait for that red chest feather to show up or not to tell for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment