Please note all the pictures on this site was taken by me and belongs to me. Please do not copy and use without my permission.

For questions, please email me directly at neversink7@hotmail.com.

Happy Bird Place

Happy Bird Place
Click on the picture to go to my website.

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Molting

When birds molt, they require more nutrition such as vitamins and protein.  For gouldians, it is even more so since they tend to molt all their feathers quite rapidly - compressed molt - as long as they have enough nutritional resources.  Providing great nutrition, however, is definitely worth it.  You will be rewarded with birds with much deeper color and bright/sleek feathers.
 This is a red headed lavender breasted double factor yellow split to blue back male.

 This is a black headed white breasted single yellow factor blue (i.e. silver) male.  He had lost a lot of head feathers during bickering in the breeding season, but these have grown back nicely.
 Here is a red headed purple breasted single factor yellow back (i.e. dilute) male.  Note the grey bib and lime colored back feathers - these are much deeper in color compared to last year after I improved their nutrition.
This is the baby gouldian I've been handfeeding.  It's still quite tame; this will likely pass after I turn it loose into the flight with all the other junveniles where it will learn how to be a gouldian.

3 comments:

  1. I love your birds! They are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At what age do gouldians first come breed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually don't try to breed them until at least 1 year old.

      Delete