Please note all the pictures on this site was taken by me and belongs to me. Please do not copy and use without my permission.

For questions, please email me directly at neversink7@hotmail.com.

Happy Bird Place

Happy Bird Place
Click on the picture to go to my website.

Monday, September 6, 2010

Baby count

This is probably the earliest I've put gouldians into pairs to breed compared to previous years.  Several hens have shown readiness by turning charcoal black on the beaks.  Other hens are not quite as ready yet.  This is good, since it allows me to stagger the use of the breeding cages.  The first pair to lay a complete clutch sat well for 2 days then abandoned for some reason.  I had to give their 5 eggs to the societies to foster - maybe 1-2 eggs with signs of life; won't know for sure how many DIS due to being left cold and how many can recover until a few days later.  The pair looks to be interested in the nest box still; hopefully they will do better the second time around.  Another pair has 4 eggs so far; should be 5 by tomorrow and hopefully the parents will start to sit tight soon as well.  Everyone else has shown some interest in the nests, but no further activity.  

The zebras are living up to their reputations still.  After raising 2 clutches already, the hen promptly laid 6 more fertile eggs, the first baby hatching today.  I will have to try to pull the nest ASAP this time.  Given my lack of space, I may be offering up all the babies as well as the parents up for sale once this round is done.  I'm afraid they are just a bit too prolific for me.

The linnies Captain Turq (turquoise male) and Cream Puff (creamino hen)'s 2 eggs I have in the incubator are DIS unfortunately.  Not sure if it's a temperature or humidity issue, but the development didn't seem normal beyond the 1st few days.  Fortunately, they have laid 2 more eggs, that both appear to be fertile.  I'll have a few weeks to decide whether I will hand feed or not - probably will, to try to have a couple of tame pets since I don't really need any more breeders currently.

 The splendid grasskeet pair whom I've named Red (the male who has added a few red feathers to his belly after molting this year) and Scarlet (my best hen with poor vision in one eye due to an infection early on in life - more on this later) has laid 5 eggs, 4 of which, at last count, were fertile.  Scarlet was given to me by her breeder when I went to pick up Red.  Wanting to only start with 1 pair of splendids, I had already picked up another hen, Blush, earlier on.  Red was born and weaned later.  When I went to pick up red, the breeder asked me if I would take Scarlet for free since she's developed an eye infection and would likely be blind in that eye.  While this is unlikely to affect her ability to breed, it would make selling her much more difficult, and I was trusted enough to see I can help her.  Scarlet healed with topical and internal antibiotics, but did develop scaring on her left eye, which does have decreased vision.  Now, with 2 hens and 1 male, I decided to get another male to make 2 pairs.  Coral was bought from a different breeder to keep the blood lines separate.  Thinking Scarlet may not be the first choice mate due to her disability was completely wrong on my part.  Red chose Scarlet without reservation.  Although he was younger than everyone else, he was the dominant male.  Coral and Blush have done well with raising their own clutches as well, but never quite as good as Red and Scarlet.  Coral and Blush have started some mating behavior, but so far no eggs yet.  If they also lay a clutch soon, the youngsters will be at least a month behind in development.

I have also put a pair of shaft tails together so see if they are willing to breed.  My favorite mutation is the creamino (or white).  I also like the normals and the "creams", which are a lovely light caramel color.  They have a very boisterous personality and love to snuggle and groom each other.  They seem to be in general peaceful with each other, but appear to prefer to snuggle in pairs.

The societies sneaked a clutch in during the summer, producing 3 pied fawn babies, 2 of which are crested.  A buyer has requested them earlier, but if they are no longer wanted, I'm thinking of keeping them as fosters since they come from my good clean foster line, and I did lose their elder by a few generations, one of my best foster males earlier this summer.  He was probably older than I think, and became ill suddenly, and unfortunately did not respond to any treatment - I think it was simply his time.  My attempt to breed for creamino societies is halted for now.  After 2 clutches of clear eggs from my creamino hen and a split male, I am letting them rest.  The male may be a bit too young yet.  I may need to put them to foster duties as well, but may let the creamino hen try with a different male in a couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment