Please note all the pictures on this site was taken by me and belongs to me. Please do not copy and use without my permission.

For questions, please email me directly at neversink7@hotmail.com.

Happy Bird Place

Happy Bird Place
Click on the picture to go to my website.

Saturday, April 24, 2010

magnificent 7

Looked in on the clutch of 5 this morning when mama bird came out for mealworms.  The 4 hatchlings were in their usual huddle with the last egg all by itself near the entrance.  It felt a bit cold to touch, so fearing the worst, I candled the egg to see if the chick had died.  Fortunately, there was still movement with a few more cracks in the shell than yesterday.  After almost a whole day trying to get out of the shell and apparently being cast aside, I decided to help the chick out of the shell by gently enlarging the already existing cracks.  The chick looks well formed and started wiggling around immediately.  I placed it still in half of the shell into the chick huddle.  Hopefully, it too will be fed like the other 4.  Since there are so many hatched chicks in this clutch, will need to monitor the younger ones carefully to make sure they are being adequately fed.  If not, then will likely need supplemental feeds or pulling for handfeeding.  As for the clutch of 4, 2 hatched so far with 2 more eggs to go.  Not seeing too much movements in the eggs though, but hopefully they are still ok and will hatch as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment